THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature. NEW MEMBERS WELCOME - Join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us. DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS OF THE GRITSTONE CLUB - We have a wide range of discount options available to members. Some have been arranged by the club and many come via the BMC. However our buying power should enable other opportunities so let our secretary know if you identify other possibilities.
MEET REPORTS & ARTICLES
- We went in search of Trolls, the Great White Silence and Norwegian Stoves - Where better to prepare for a week’s Norwegian Ski Touring than icy Scotland?
- Ariege 2014 - Our third Easter meet in the South of France took us to the Ariège region of the Midi Pyrenees. Extensive walking began at the door; while Calames, one of the region’s major climbing crags towered above us.
- 2014 Meets Calender - Susan has updated the Meets Calendar for 2014. Other meets are being planned, and more suggestions welcome! If you would like to attend any of the meets listed please contact the co-ordinator.
- Wood supply at the Smithy - The Smithy wood supply is in need of replenishment. If you have some suitable timber, please bring it along!
- November 2013 Newsletter - Click on link to download November newsletter in PDF format
- Ribblehead Maintenance Meet 7/8th September 2013 - The Ribblehead Maintenance Meet got off to a flying start.....
TRIP PLANNING - Once you are logged on feel free to respond via the comments box.
BLOG - A series of short interesting random items. If you have one to post contact Nigel, Ian, Mick or Dan.
- How about soloing 100 Lake District Extremes in a day?
- Emergency SMS service
- Sweet taste of Strawberries for Steve McClure
- Best quickdraw review
- Pembroke (Gogarth) meet 30/5/14-2//14
- Climbing history on display in Keswick
- BMC – hill walking presentation at local area mtg 9th June
- The Five Best HVS Routes in the UK?
- Climbing Bears
NEXT FEW MEETS & Bookings
- 25 July 2014Smithy Roger Hobbs 2 places upper bunkroom
- 25 July 2014Smithy Meet
- 30 July 2014Yorkshire limestone
- 30 July 2014 19:30Kings Arms Heath
- 06 August 2014Spoffoth, Railway Inn
- 06 August 2014 19:30The Railway, Spoffoth
- 08 August 2014Cwm Dyli Hut - Snowdonia
- 13 August 2014Wetherby, Crown
- 13 August 2014 19:30The Turkey, Goose Eye
- 15 August 2014Ribblehead maintenance
- 15 August 2014Family Meet Smithy - Wayne
- 17 August 2014Yorkshire limestone