THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME – Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing background, equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee who will be able to help. Full listing
- Paul Ramsden and Mick Fowler make first ascent of Gave Ding, Nepal - Just got back from an excellent trip to far West Nepal with Mick Fowler. Managed to make the first overall ascent of Gave Ding (6571m) via its very impressive north buttress.
- Wind Turbines at Almscliff – response before 11th June - Your assistance needed. 2 x 48m high wind turbines are proposed very close to Almscliff Crag – something we cannot allow. Please place your objections ASAP following the instructions below. Every response counts. Cheers Mick
- Hot Rock 7 – 14 April 2015, Roquebrun, Languedoc - The climbing, the walking, the accommodation and the weather were spot on.
- Peter Sugden – Obituary and Funeral - See link for obituary. His funeral will be held at Grenoside Crematorium, Sheffield, on Wednesday 4th February at 2:00 pm & afterwards at Cubley Hall, Penistone. Please let Andy Causer know if you are able to come.
- 2015 Forthcoming Meets - Please see the Meets Calendar for details, and contact the coordinators if you are interested in taking part.
- First Ascent on Hagshu - More than 20 years after first setting eyes on the peak & noting its potential objective, Mick Fowler & Paul Ramsden have succeeded on first ascent of north east face of Hagshu.
- Concerns mounting over Castle Rock fall
- What a stunning route! 85m 9a+/b
- Running socks review
- Essential winter skills – walking with an ice axe
- Increasing numbers of people taking up climbing
- New Products for 2015 with Climbing Technology
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- Five of the best VS Routes in the UK
- Verdon: featuring McClure and Mawson
- Scramble on: new BMC TV videos on the art of scrambling
- 28 September 2016 17:30Myrtle Tavern, Meanwood
- 30 September 2016Ribblehead maintenance
- 02 October 2016Sunday Climbing
- 05 October 2016 19:30Station Hotel, Harecroft
- 07 October 2016Smithy Meet
- 12 October 2016 19:00Sun Inn, Norwood
- 19 October 2016 19:30The Bridge, Ripponden
- 21 October 2016Annual Dinner - Hardraw
- 23 October 2016Ribblehead booking Tom Greenwood + 5
- 25 October 2016Inken Blunk R.C. Smithy booking
- 26 October 2016 19:30The Royalty, Otley Chevin
- 02 November 2016 19:30Sair Inn, Linthwaite, Huddersfield
- 04 November 2016Bonfire Meet
- 09 November 2016 17:30Dyneley Arms
- 16 November 2016 19:30The George, Cullingworth
- 17 November 2016Smithy booking Adrian Coward +1