THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME – Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing background, equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee who will be able to help. Full listing
- Run Rabbit 100 Steamboat Springs Colorado 16th September 2016 - I headed over to Steamboat Springs Colorado for a new adventure in trail running. This is not a race on most Ultra Trail runners list, but I had thought over winter about getting out there or Lake Tahoe. In the end I summed up the courage to enter Run Rabbit 100…so named after the Rabbit ...
- Smithy Easter Meet 2017 - Meet attended by Peter Haigh, Paul Winterbottom, Peter Barans, Peter Haigh, Helen Kerr, Lynn Moss, Alan Moss. The weather was mixed over the weekend, wind rain and sun in various quantities. On Friday it pored down when the rain abated Peter Haigh walked from Grasmere back to the hut via Dunmail raise. LM and AM ...
- Gritstone Winter Smithy Meet 17 – 19 Feb 17 - The majority of the attendees started arriving on Friday afternoon, but sadly none had brought with them any weather forecasts other than utterly abysmal! However, a merry evening was had in the Smithy with the woodburner lit discussing various options for the following day. It was agreed that, bearing in mind the unfavourable forecast (high ...
- Torridon Winter Meet 2017 - Torridon Meet 5 – 12 March 2017 The Gritstone Club had arranged accommodation at The Log House on the Damph Estate for 14 people. 12 people arrived during Sunday. The sunset that evening was spectacular! A good omen? The three big ridges – Beinn Eighe, Liathach and Beinn Alligin were my target for the ...
- A snowy weekend in the Lakes (18-20 November) - This impromptu meet at the Smithy was threatened with mixed weather (the MWIS forecast was ‘appalling’) which did not deter those present from venturing out, albeit at low level on the first two days. On Friday DC, AC, CC AD & LM walked from Grange in Borrowdale to Seatoller and back via Rosthwaite and Watendlath, ...
- Great little film of Nick and Pauls recent first ascent in Tibet.
- Concerns mounting over Castle Rock fall
- What a stunning route! 85m 9a+/b
- Running socks review
- Essential winter skills – walking with an ice axe
- Increasing numbers of people taking up climbing
- New Products for 2015 with Climbing Technology
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- Five of the best VS Routes in the UK
- Verdon: featuring McClure and Mawson
- 03 May 2017Ribblehead booking Rucsac Club 6 places
- 03 May 2017 18:30Shipley Glen / Bull's Head
- 03 May 2017 19:30Bulls Head, Baildon
- 05 May 2017Maintenance Meet Smithy - Lynn Moss
- 09 May 2017 19:00Jack Bloor Ilkley Fell Race
- 10 May 2017 18:00Almscliff / Hunters Inn
- 10 May 2017 19:30Hunters Inn
- 12 May 2017Ribblehead Meet
- 17 May 2017 18:30Greetland Quarry, West Vale / Star Inn
- 17 May 2017 19:30Gardners Arms, Bilton
- 19 May 2017Ribblehead booking Helen Kerr+2
- 24 May 2017 18:30Caley Crag / Manor House
- 24 May 2017 19:30Manor House, Otley
- 27 May 2017Scottish Summer Meet
- 31 May 2017 18:30Baildon Bank / Bulls Head
- 31 May 2017 19:30Marquis of Granby, Knaresborough