THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME – Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing background, equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee who will be able to help. Full listing
- Annual Dinner October 2016 - The dinner was attended by 40 people including 3 guests - John and Carol Whalley from Yorkshire Ramblers and Alison Cairns from the Pinnacle Club.
- Great little film of Nick and Pauls recent first ascent in Tibet. - In October 2016 Nick Bullock and Paul Ramsden made the first ascent of Nyainqentangla South East
- Smithy Meet 19 -22 November 2016 - Saturday was a bit img_0030mixed weather wise but we made the best of it with a hike into Keswick.......
- Can any members help out with this? - CROWS Help wanted Dick Lane The path at Dick Lane (½ km East of Stoodley Pike) is an important route linking Mytholmroyd and Cragg Vale with the pike. It has been deteriorating for many years.......
- Paul Ramsden, first ascent in Tibet Oct 2016 - Paul got back from Tibet a couple of weeks ago having made the first ascent of the North Buttress of Nyainqentagla South East (7047m). He is back in Saudi now........
- Great little film of Nick and Pauls recent first ascent in Tibet.
- Concerns mounting over Castle Rock fall
- What a stunning route! 85m 9a+/b
- Running socks review
- Essential winter skills – walking with an ice axe
- Increasing numbers of people taking up climbing
- New Products for 2015 with Climbing Technology
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- Five of the best VS Routes in the UK
- Verdon: featuring McClure and Mawson
- 19 January 2017 19:30Annual General Meeting
- 20 January 2017Smithy Booking Craven M. C.
- 24 January 2017Walk Top of Holme valley
- 25 January 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 25 January 2017 19:30Sair Inn, Linthwaite, Huddersfield
- 27 January 2017Smithy Winter Meet I
- 01 February 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 01 February 2017 19:30The Hermit, Burley-in-Wharfedale
- 08 February 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 08 February 2017 19:30The Robin Hood, Crag Vale
- 15 February 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 15 February 2017 19:30Kings Arms Heath
- 17 February 2017Smithy Winter Meet II
- 22 February 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 22 February 2017 19:30The Spring Rock, Norland
- 01 March 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing