THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME - Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee who will be able to help. Full listing
- 2015 Forthcoming Meets - Please see the Meets Calendar for details, and contact the coordinators if you are interested in taking part. Christmas/New Year at the Smithy // Smithy Meet End Jan // Scottish Winter meet, Newtonmore 28 Feb – 7 Mar // Haute Provence Spring meet 7-14 April // Cairngorms meet 9-17 May
- First Ascent on Hagshu - More than 20 years after first setting eyes on the peak Mick Fowler and Paul Ramsden, succeed on first ascent of north east face of Hagshu.
- Paul Ramsden to attempt North face Kishtwar - Paul Ramsden will set off with Mick Fowler in mid-September to attempt a first ascent of the north face of Hagshu (6,515m) in the East Kishtwar region of the Indian Himalaya.
- Western Cape a climbers paradise - The Western Cape is a climber’s paradise. There is world class bouldering, sport climbing, trad, & big wall opportunities within 5 hours drive from Cape Town.
- We went in search of Trolls, the Great White Silence and Norwegian Stoves - Where better to prepare for a week’s Norwegian Ski Touring than icy Scotland?
- Ariege 2014 - Our third Easter meet in the South of France took us to the Ariège region of the Midi Pyrenees. Extensive walking began at the door; while Calames, one of the region’s major climbing crags towered above us.
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- Five of the best VS Routes in the UK
- Verdon: featuring McClure and Mawson
- Scramble on: new BMC TV videos on the art of scrambling
- Essential climbing wall skills
- Choosing & maintaining ropes
- Gear needed to climb outdoors
- Brian and Roy complete the Wasdale Horseshoe fell race
- Roy in Etape du Dales
- New climbing gear for next year
- Essential hill walking know how
- Alpine skills: how to speed up
- Personal Locator Beacon and Satellite Messenger Review
- Best James Bond stunt ever??
- Augmented reality helps you up a climbing wall
- 24 December 2014Christmas at the Smithy
- 24 December 2014 18:30Leeds Wall
- 27 December 2014New Year Meet
- 31 December 2014New Year's Eve Greek style dinner
- 07 January 2015 18:30Evening climbing
- 07 January 2015 19:30Brown Cow, Bingley
- 13 January 2015Walk - Marsden
- 14 January 2015 18:30Evening climbing
- 14 January 2015 19:30The Spring Rock, Norland
- 16 January 2015Smithy Booking Craven M.C.
- 21 January 2015 17:30Hare & Hounds, Lothersdale
- 21 January 2015 18:30Evening climbing
- 22 January 2015 19:30AGM - Dynely Arms
- 27 January 2015Walk