THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME - Expert or beginner - join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee who will be able to help. Full listing
- First Ascent on Hagshu - More than 20 years after first setting eyes on the peak Mick Fowler and Paul Ramsden, succeed on first ascent of north east face of Hagshu.
- Paul Ramsden to attempt North face Kishtwar - Paul Ramsden will set off with Mick Fowler in mid-September to attempt a first ascent of the north face of Hagshu (6,515m) in the East Kishtwar region of the Indian Himalaya.
- Western Cape a climbers paradise - The Western Cape is a climber’s paradise. There is world class bouldering, sport climbing, trad, & big wall opportunities within 5 hours drive from Cape Town.
- We went in search of Trolls, the Great White Silence and Norwegian Stoves - Where better to prepare for a week’s Norwegian Ski Touring than icy Scotland?
- Ariege 2014 - Our third Easter meet in the South of France took us to the Ariège region of the Midi Pyrenees. Extensive walking began at the door; while Calames, one of the region’s major climbing crags towered above us.
- 2014 Meets Calender - Susan has updated the Meets Calendar for 2014. Other meets are being planned, and more suggestions welcome! If you would like to attend any of the meets listed please contact the co-ordinator.
- Scramble on: new BMC TV videos on the art of scrambling
- Essential climbing wall skills
- Choosing & maintaining ropes
- Gear needed to climb outdoors
- Brian and Roy complete the Wasdale Horseshoe fell race
- Roy in Etape du Dales
- New climbing gear for next year
- Essential hill walking know how
- Alpine skills: how to speed up
- Personal Locator Beacon and Satellite Messenger Review
- Best James Bond stunt ever??
- Augmented reality helps you up a climbing wall
- How about soloing 100 Lake District Extremes in a day?
- Emergency SMS service
- Sweet taste of Strawberries for Steve McClure
- 21 November 2014Smithy Meet
- 21 November 2014Ribblehead hut booking, 6 places, M Fairclough
- 24 November 2014Smithy Booking R.A.F. lower bunkroom
- 25 November 2014Walk - Forest of Bowland
- 26 November 2014 18:30Leeds Wall
- 26 November 2014 19:30Sair Inn, Linthwaite, Huddersfield
- 28 November 2014Ribblehead booking Gillian Travis 6 places
- 28 November 2014Party Meet
- 03 December 2014 18:30Leeds Wall
- 03 December 2014 19:30Craven Arms, Appletreewick
- 05 December 2014Wayne lower bunkroom - Smithy
- 10 December 2014 18:30Leeds Wall
- 10 December 2014 19:30The Greyhound, Saxton
- 16 December 2014Walk