THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME – Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing background, equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee who will be able to help. Full listing
- Can any members help out with this? - CROWS Help wanted Dick Lane The path at Dick Lane (½ km East of Stoodley Pike) is an important route linking Mytholmroyd and Cragg Vale with the pike. It has been deteriorating for many years and is now almost impassable unless you are wearing waders! CROWS now have one-off funding in place to put in ...
- Paul Ramsden, first ascent in Tibet Oct 2016 - Paul got back from Tibet a couple of weeks ago having made the first ascent of the North Buttress of Nyainqentagla South East (7047m). He is back in Saudi now so a bit of a contrast in temperatures.
- Paul Ramsden and Mick Fowler make first ascent of Gave Ding, Nepal - Just got back from an excellent trip to far West Nepal with Mick Fowler. Managed to make the first overall ascent of Gave Ding (6571m) via its very impressive north buttress.
- Wind Turbines at Almscliff – response before 11th June - Your assistance needed. 2 x 48m high wind turbines are proposed very close to Almscliff Crag – something we cannot allow. Please place your objections ASAP following the instructions below. Every response counts. Cheers Mick
- Hot Rock 7 – 14 April 2015, Roquebrun, Languedoc - The climbing, the walking, the accommodation and the weather were spot on.
- Peter Sugden – Obituary and Funeral - See link for obituary. His funeral will be held at Grenoside Crematorium, Sheffield, on Wednesday 4th February at 2:00 pm & afterwards at Cubley Hall, Penistone. Please let Andy Causer know if you are able to come.
- Smithy Meet 19 -22 November 2016
- Can any members help out with this?
- Concerns mounting over Castle Rock fall
- What a stunning route! 85m 9a+/b
- Running socks review
- Essential winter skills – walking with an ice axe
- Increasing numbers of people taking up climbing
- New Products for 2015 with Climbing Technology
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- Five of the best VS Routes in the UK
- 06 December 2016 19:30Committee mtg
- 07 December 2016 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 07 December 2016 19:30The Greyhound, Saxton
- 14 December 2016 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 14 December 2016 19:30Old White Beare, Norwood Green
- 16 December 2016Party Meet Patterdale
- 16 December 2016Ribblehead booking Mick Phipps+5
- 21 December 2016 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 21 December 2016 19:30The Robin Hood, Crag Vale
- 28 December 2016 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 28 December 2016 19:30Greyhounds, Killinghall
- 04 January 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 04 January 2017 19:30Brown Cow, Bingley
- 11 January 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 18 January 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 20 January 2017Smithy Booking Craven M. C.