THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME – Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing background, equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee who will be able to help. Full listing
- Torridon Winter Meet 2017 - Torridon Meet 5 – 12 March 2017 The Gritstone Club had arranged accommodation at The Log House on the Damph Estate for 14 people. 12 people arrived during Sunday. The sunset that evening was spectacular! A good omen? The three big ridges – Beinn Eighe, Liathach and Beinn Alligin were my target for the ...
- A snowy weekend in the Lakes (18-20 November) - This impromptu meet at the Smithy was threatened with mixed weather (the MWIS forecast was ‘appalling’) which did not deter those present from venturing out, albeit at low level on the first two days. On Friday DC, AC, CC AD & LM walked from Grange in Borrowdale to Seatoller and back via Rosthwaite and Watendlath, ...
- Annual Dinner October 2016 - The dinner was attended by 40 people including 3 guests - John and Carol Whalley from Yorkshire Ramblers and Alison Cairns from the Pinnacle Club.
- Great little film of Nick and Pauls recent first ascent in Tibet. - In October 2016 Nick Bullock and Paul Ramsden made the first ascent of Nyainqentangla South East
- Smithy Meet 19 -22 November 2016 - Saturday was a bit img_0030mixed weather wise but we made the best of it with a hike into Keswick.......
- Great little film of Nick and Pauls recent first ascent in Tibet.
- Concerns mounting over Castle Rock fall
- What a stunning route! 85m 9a+/b
- Running socks review
- Essential winter skills – walking with an ice axe
- Increasing numbers of people taking up climbing
- New Products for 2015 with Climbing Technology
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- Five of the best VS Routes in the UK
- Verdon: featuring McClure and Mawson
- 29 March 2017 18:30Evening indoor climbing
- 29 March 2017 19:30Listers Arms, Malham
- 31 March 2017Smithy booking Jude Turnbull RC
- 31 March 2017Ski-touring
- 05 April 2017Almscliff, Dynley Arms
- 05 April 2017 19:30Dyneley Arms
- 12 April 2017 19:30The Alma Inn, Cotton Stones
- 13 April 2017Easter Smithy meet
- 19 April 2017 19:30Railway, Rodley
- 21 April 2017Ribblehead Maintenance Meet
- 21 April 2017Smithy Pinnacle Club booking
- 26 April 2017 19:30White Lion, Kildwick
- 03 May 2017Ribblehead booking Rucsac Club 6 places
- 05 May 2017Maintenance Meet Smithy - Lynn Moss
- 12 May 2017Ribblehead Meet
- 19 May 2017Ribblehead booking Helen Kerr+2