This area is available to members to communicate practical information about meeting up, extra details about meets, etc.
To start a topic an author needs to add a post / news item. The authors able to do this are Ian Hargreaves, Dan Ambler, David Bateman,Mick Green, Mark Stock, Andrew Dyson, and Chris Ambler. Follow up communications can be added via the comments box by all members and prospective members. Ultimately links from the meets calendar will be provided to these posts for quick access. Get in touch if you want something added or would like to become an author.
- Winter evening climbing (9/3/2012) - Hi All Now that the website is operational we can co-ordinate where you want to go more easily. The first few Wednesday evenings (note change from Tuesday as last year) are set for the Leeds Wall. Note sure what mix of locations you prefer so your comments can be added for other members to see ...
- BMC Club’s Committee report 19th April 2012 (4/25/2012) -
- Party Meet now booked (2/22/2012) - By popular demand we now have a firm booking for the cultural highlight of the Gritstone year. The Party Meet has again been booked at Lowstern, the YRC hut at Clapham, for the weekend of November 2 – 4 . This early date should avoid all clashes with Christmas duties and offers the happy bonus of ...
- Tuesday walks – more after Easter (2/22/2012) - The programme of regular club day walks looks set to continue through the summer. Normally there is an organised walk every other Tuesday, from mid-autumn to around Easter. This year we have a fairly full programme and it has now been proposed to continue through the summer. This is a very welcome development with walks already planned up to June 12th. Please let Ian or ...
- Use your huts! (7/11/2011) - Don’t forget the club has two fantastic huts.
In the future meet reports will be listed here, with a link provided from the calendar, plus a suitable excerpt.
- Torridon Winter Meet 2017 (3/14/2017) - Torridon Meet 5 – 12 March 2017 The Gritstone Club had arranged accommodation at The Log House on the Damph Estate for 14 people. 12 people arrived during Sunday. The sunset that evening was spectacular! A good omen? The three big ridges – Beinn Eighe, Liathach and Beinn Alligin were my target for the ...
- A snowy weekend in the Lakes (18-20 November) (1/24/2017) - This impromptu meet at the Smithy was threatened with mixed weather (the MWIS forecast was ‘appalling’) which did not deter those present from venturing out, albeit at low level on the first two days. On Friday DC, AC, CC AD & LM walked from Grange in Borrowdale to Seatoller and back via Rosthwaite and Watendlath, ...
- Annual Dinner October 2016 (12/15/2016) - The dinner was attended by 40 people including 3 guests - John and Carol Whalley from Yorkshire Ramblers and Alison Cairns from the Pinnacle Club.
- Smithy Meet 19 -22 November 2016 (11/21/2016) - Saturday was a bit img_0030mixed weather wise but we made the best of it with a hike into Keswick.......
- Hot Rock 7 – 14 April 2015, Roquebrun, Languedoc (5/1/2015) - The climbing, the walking, the accommodation and the weather were spot on.
- We went in search of Trolls, the Great White Silence and Norwegian Stoves (5/8/2014) - Where better to prepare for a week’s Norwegian Ski Touring than icy Scotland?
- November 2013 Newsletter (12/12/2013) - Click on link to download November newsletter in PDF format
- Ribblehead Maintenance Meet 7/8th September 2013 (11/26/2013) - The Ribblehead Maintenance Meet got off to a flying start.....
- July 2013 Newsletter (7/31/2013) -
- GR221 Bimbling through the mountains of Mallorca (6/15/2013) - A high-level traverse of the dramatic Serra de Tramuntana mountains in Mallorca, from south to north in May 2013
- Spring Bank Holiday Meet, May 2013 (6/15/2013) - Older and wiser Grits will nod sagely when Carnmore is mentioned, eyes will glisten and breath will be taken through pursed lips.....
- JACK BLOOR RACES MAY 14th (6/15/2013) - We were lucky again for conditions for the races. My thanks go to all who gave their time so willingly.
- Smithy – Vets and Beginners Rock 4th/5th May (6/15/2013) - The original objective of this meet was to enable members - who had not climbed for some time and others who had never climbed but might wish to try - to get onto the rock. In the event it turned into a ‘Past Presidents’ meet!
- April 2013 Newsletter (4/12/2013) - April 2013 Newsletter Click on the link above for the latest Newsletter
- Day Walks (3/15/2013) - Day walks have come thick and fast in the dark days of winter, with more frequent walks in Derbyshire being added to the list:
- Muirshearlich, Scotland (3/15/2013) - We were blessed with perfect winter conditions – hard-packed snow on the tops, and for the most part bright sun blazing out of a blue sky, with not much wind
- JB@80: a weekend of walking and feasting at the Smithy (2/12/2013) - The weekend was a great success.
- New Year Meet (2/12/2013) - This meet was one of the wettest and dullest of any of the Smithy New Year Meets.
- Provence 2012 (5/15/2012) - Hot Rock Meet, Provence, 29 March - 6 April: Based in a villa near Brignoles the climbers in our party of 11 visited a clutch of excellent limestone crags and a granite gorge The walkers traversed several ridges and spent one day on the island of Port Cros.
- Courrour Meet report (5/1/2012) - It was a pleasure to experience some snowy conditions in Scotland this winter, albeit only above about 3000ft, and for most of the meet the rain stayed away.