THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME – Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing background, equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
RUNNING A MEET? – Members are encouraged to organise and host meets. They can be single activity (climbing walking etc) or multiple activity and can be run from one of our own club huts or another venue of your choosing. Some people even like camping! They are an opportunity to meet other members and try something different. For more tips and ideas go the Running a meet page and contact the meets sec with your dates and ideas.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee. Full listing
- Meet Report: - Stunningly beautiful in its bleakness, the Upper Coquet valley is one of the most remote parts of Northumberland - Barrowburn nestles beneath the imposing flanks of Shillhope Law, in the Northumberland National Park.
- 5 – 7 October – Gritstone Club Annual Dinner, Grassington -
- HERRIOT WAY - Carol Pettifar and Ian Hargreaves are doing the Herriot Way 15-18 th October 2018. Everyone is welcome to join us for all or part of it. If you are interested let Ian know. The walk takes four days averaging 12-13 miles per day. I am buying a guide book but if you go to http:/www.herriotway.com/route/ ...
- June 2018 Newsletter – click the link to open - June 2018 Newsletter web
- Smithy Easter Meet 2018 (30 March – 2 April) - There was a low turn out for the meet, which we can blame on the appalling forecast for the weekend. Attendees – Andrew Dyson, Peter Haigh, Lynn and Alan Moss (+ Richard Moss and Hannah on Saturday and Sunday) Andrew drove up on Thursday night to take advantage of the weather! He and Lynn walked ...
- Cracks Widen at Castle Rock
- Back packing tent review – January 2018
- Climbing Cam review – January 2018
- Smithy Winter Meet 2 : 16 – 18 February 2018
- Dave Barrans in a film of climbing at Fontainbleau with Matt Cousins and Nathan Phillips and (Thunder)
- High Street 28 December 2017
- Fairfield Horseshoe 7 January 2018
- Scottish Winter Meet 10 -17 March
- 1-3 December Grits Christmas Party Meet, Lowstern, Clapham
- Majorca trip places – March 2018
- Smithy Meet 20-24 October 2017
- Smithy Family Meet 3 August – 6 August
- Great little film of Nick and Pauls recent first ascent in Tibet.
- Concerns mounting over Castle Rock fall
- What a stunning route! 85m 9a+/b
- Running socks review
- Essential winter skills – walking with an ice axe
- Increasing numbers of people taking up climbing
- New Products for 2015 with Climbing Technology
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- 21 September 2018Ribblehead booking Gillian Travis+5
- 21 September 2018Lakes Walk - The Thirlmere way
- 25 September 2018Walk
- 26 September 2018 19:30Station Hotel, Harecroft
- 28 September 2018Ribblehead Meet
- 28 September 2018Sarah Crilley - Rucksack Club - Smithy
- 02 October 2018Committee Meeting
- 03 October 2018 19:00Sun Inn, Norwood
- 05 October 201896 th Annual Dinner Meet
- 10 October 2018 19:00Old Swan Inn, Gargrave
- 15 October 2018Walk - Herriot Way
- 17 October 2018 19:30The Royalty, Otley Chevin
- 21 October 2018Smithy Meet
- 24 October 2018 19:30Sair Inn, Linthwaite, Huddersfield
- 31 October 2018 19:30Dyneley Arms
- 02 November 2018Smithy booking Craven MC
- 03 November 2018Bonfire Meet
- 07 November 2018Inken Blunk - Rucksack Club - 8 places - Smithy
- 07 November 2018 19:30The George, Cullingworth
- 14 November 2018 19:30New Inn, Eccup