THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME – Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing background, equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
RUNNING A MEET? – Members are encouraged to organise and host meets. They can be single activity (climbing walking etc) or multiple activity and can be run from one of our own club huts or another venue of your choosing. Some people even like camping! They are an opportunity to meet other members and try something different. For more tips and ideas go the Running a meet page and contact the meets sec with your dates and ideas.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee. Full listing
- Lakes Winter Meet 2 – 4 February 2018 - Friday’s forecast was good so headed to Tilberthwaite to climb Wetherlam, Swirl How, The Carrs then back via Little Langdale – perfect weather but cold Saturday was not so good – the cloud was down and it was drizzling. Lynn, Neil and I set off from Threlkeld towards Skiddaw House, crossed the river about 1k ...
- Grits Party Meet weekend 7-9 December 2018 - Christmas 2018 is already approaching. Dennis Chapman is looking to book the Bishopdale Bunkhouse, Thoralby, Bishopdale, North Yorkshire (www.thestreetheadinn.co.uk/old-school-bunkhouse.php). Let Dennis know ASAP
- Smithy Winter Meet 2 : 16 – 18 February 2018 - Meet is being coordinated by Nigel Calaghan. Hopefully conditions will improve. Nigel has offered to provide a meal on Saturday evening ............
- Jack Bloor Moor Races – 8 May 2018 - Welcome to the Jack Bloor Races and Fund Ilkley Moor Next Race: Tuesday 8th May 2018 All profits from the Jack Bloor Races go to the Jack Bloor Memorial Fund, which awards grants to those who want to improve their physical and/or technical skills in any recognised outdoor sport. More info here
- Gritstone Club 95th Annual Dinner Meet, October 2017 - Accommodation was secured at the Grassington Bunk Barn for the weekend. The accommodation was excellent. The only draw back is the location which is about a mile up a rather steep hill to the north of Grassington towards Yarnbury. 28 slept there on Friday night and 34 (the maximum) on Saturday night. Dennis, Susan, Andrew, ...
- Back packing tent review – January 2018
- Climbing Cam review – January 2018
- Smithy Winter Meet 2 : 16 – 18 February 2018
- Dave Barrans in a film of climbing at Fontainbleau with Matt Cousins and Nathan Phillips and (Thunder)
- High Street 28 December 2017
- Fairfield Horseshoe 7 January 2018
- Scottish Winter Meet 10 -17 March
- 1-3 December Grits Christmas Party Meet, Lowstern, Clapham
- Majorca trip places – March 2018
- Smithy Meet 20-24 October 2017
- Smithy Family Meet 3 August – 6 August
- Great little film of Nick and Pauls recent first ascent in Tibet.
- Concerns mounting over Castle Rock fall
- What a stunning route! 85m 9a+/b
- Running socks review
- Essential winter skills – walking with an ice axe
- Increasing numbers of people taking up climbing
- New Products for 2015 with Climbing Technology
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- Five of the best VS Routes in the UK
- 27 February 2018Antalya rock, Turkey
- 28 February 2018 18:30Evening Climbing
- 28 February 2018 19:30The Beehive, Ripponden
- 06 March 2018Walk - Kirkburton area
- 07 March 2018 18:30Evening Climbing
- 07 March 2018 19:30Craven Arms, Appletreewick
- 10 March 2018Scottish Winter Meet - Newtonmore
- 14 March 2018 18:30Evening Climbing
- 14 March 2018 19:30Dog & Partridge, Sowood.
- 21 March 2018 18:30Evening Climbing
- 21 March 2018 19:30Dyneley Arms
- 23 March 2018Smithy booking R.C. 5 places
- 27 March 2018Walk
- 28 March 2018 18:30Evening Climbing
- 28 March 2018 19:30Old White Beare, Norwood Green
- 30 March 2018Smithy Easter Meet
- 04 April 2018 18:30Evening Climbing
- 04 April 2018 19:30Manor House, Otley
- 06 April 2018Ribblehead booking Tom Walker + 3
- 11 April 2018 18:30Evening Climbing