THE GRITSTONE CLUB was founded in 1922 to encourage pursuits of mountaineering, rock climbing, hill walking, potholing and skiing. Many of our members live near Leeds, Bradford, and other conurbations in our region so meeting for trips is easy. We hold regular weekend and mid week meets throughout the year, plus well positioned club huts in the Lake District and in the Yorkshire Dales. Regular meets internationally each year are also feature.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME – Expert or beginner – join us on any of listed meets at weekends, indoor climbing, walking, etc to suit your interests. Contact us.
THINKING OF CLIMBING OUTDOORS? – If you have progressed and started to develop your climbing skills indoors and are looking to take the next step into the great outdoors it would be really good to hear from you. Here is Collection of articles on climbing background, equipment and skills for you to explore. We can help you understand the practical application, the joys, the freedom, and experience the true adventure and pleasure of climbing with friends and trusted partners.
RUNNING A MEET? – Members are encouraged to organise and host meets. They can be single activity (climbing walking etc) or multiple activity and can be run from one of our own club huts or another venue of your choosing. Some people even like camping! They are an opportunity to meet other members and try something different. For more tips and ideas go the Running a meet page and contact the meets sec with your dates and ideas.
This is the primary listing of meet reports, journal articles, etc. If you would like to see items included contact a member of the committee. Full listing
- 96th Annual Dinner Meet, Grassington 2018 - This years dinner meet was once again held at Grassington. 18 people took advantage of the excellent accommodation offered at the Grassington Bunk Barn, but numbers were severely down on the previous year. Dennis Chapman herded a team of volunteers to produce a fine, 3 course communal meal, which was greatly appreciated by all. Luke ...
- Meet Report: - Stunningly beautiful in its bleakness, the Upper Coquet valley is one of the most remote parts of Northumberland - Barrowburn nestles beneath the imposing flanks of Shillhope Law, in the Northumberland National Park.
- 5 – 7 October – Gritstone Club Annual Dinner, Grassington -
- HERRIOT WAY - Carol Pettifar and Ian Hargreaves are doing the Herriot Way 15-18 th October 2018. Everyone is welcome to join us for all or part of it. If you are interested let Ian know. The walk takes four days averaging 12-13 miles per day. I am buying a guide book but if you go to http:/www.herriotway.com/route/ ...
- June 2018 Newsletter – click the link to open - June 2018 Newsletter web
- Cracks Widen at Castle Rock
- Back packing tent review – January 2018
- Climbing Cam review – January 2018
- Smithy Winter Meet 2 : 16 – 18 February 2018
- Dave Barrans in a film of climbing at Fontainbleau with Matt Cousins and Nathan Phillips and (Thunder)
- High Street 28 December 2017
- Fairfield Horseshoe 7 January 2018
- Scottish Winter Meet 10 -17 March
- 1-3 December Grits Christmas Party Meet, Lowstern, Clapham
- Majorca trip places – March 2018
- Smithy Meet 20-24 October 2017
- Smithy Family Meet 3 August – 6 August
- Great little film of Nick and Pauls recent first ascent in Tibet.
- Concerns mounting over Castle Rock fall
- What a stunning route! 85m 9a+/b
- Running socks review
- Essential winter skills – walking with an ice axe
- Increasing numbers of people taking up climbing
- New Products for 2015 with Climbing Technology
- ‘STONE FREE’ EXCERPT
- 21 November 2018 18:30Climbing - The Big Depot
- 21 November 2018 19:30Manor House, Otley
- 28 November 2018 18:30Climbing - The Big Depot
- 28 November 2018 19:30Old White Beare, Norwood Green
- 05 December 2018 18:30Climbing - The Big Depot
- 05 December 2018 19:30The Greyhound, Saxton
- 07 December 2018Christmas Meet
- 11 December 2018 18:00Free Solo - Alex Honnold
- 12 December 2018 18:30Climbing - The Big Depot
- 12 December 2018 19:30Gardners Arms, Bilton
- 14 December 2018Smithy Meet
- 19 December 2018 18:30Climbing - The Big Depot
- 19 December 2018 19:30The Robin Hood, Crag Vale
- 23 December 2018Smithy Christmas & New Year Meet
- 26 December 2018 19:30Greyhounds, Killinghall
- 02 January 2019 19:30Brown Cow, Bingley
- 09 January 2019 19:30The Royalty, Otley Chevin
- 16 January 2019 19:30The Grouse, Oldfield
- 23 January 2019 19:30White Lion, Kildwick
- 25 January 2019Smithy Winter Meet 1